Home → Maine Hire A Vet 2018
Join the Campaign to Hire More Veterans! It’s the Right Thing to Do. It’s Good Business.
Maine’s annual Hire-A-Vet campaign provides support for employers to expand the hiring of veterans and military families, including a network of state and federal agencies, resources and nonprofits, education on military language and culture, assistance with recruiting, hiring, assimilation and retention, and recognition for the hiring and advancement of Veterans.
Employers, join the Campaign: Contact Steven Roy, Campaign Coordinator, 207-624-5156 (TTY: Relay 711) or MaineHireAVet.DOL@maine.gov.
Veterans and Military Families, connect with your local Maine CareerCenter Veterans’ Representative for job search assistance.
Hilton Honors: Veterans traveling 40 miles or more for an interview or job fair may be eligible for free overnight accommodations through the Hilton Honors Program. To learn more, contact John.W.Wagner@maine.gov.
Campaign Outcomes: The campaign has connected nearly 500 employers with over 900 veteran-hires since its inception in 2015, and has been recognized as a best practice by the United States Department of Labor (USDOL) and the National Association of State Workforce Agencies (NASWA). The average wage for veteran hires was $17.43 in 2015 and increased to $23.05 in 2018.
Military Culture 202 Training YouTube Videos
- 296 veteran and military family member hires
- 195 participating employers
- $23.16 avg. placement wage
Maine CareerCenters help veterans who have to travel for a job interview to stay at a Hilton Hotel for no cost through Hilton Honors.
How it Works
Support for Veterans
- Pre- and Post-transition personalized networking
- Personal assessment
- Resume and interview preparation
- Partner agency coordination
If you are a Veteran or eligible spouse, please identify yourself as such when inquiring about any Maine Department of Labor program.
Veterans and eligible spouses are given priority of service for the receipt of employment, training and placement services provided under most Maine Department of Labor-funded programs.
Support for Employers
- No-cost resources to post your jobs on Maine JobLink and Live+Work in Maine.
- Assistance with filling job vacancies.
- Hosted job fairs and employer recruitments at Maine CareerCenters.
- CareerCenter resources and interview/conference rooms
- Connect employers with statewide Veteran organizations.
- Employment, training and placement services available to eligible trailing spouses.
Employers that hire eligible veterans may be able to take advantage of the Work Opportunity Tax Credit.