A table display with pamphlets and brochures from the CareerCenter

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How to file for Unemployment Insurance?

Call volumes at Unemployment Claims Center can be high early in the week. The best way to file for benefits or to find out the status of your claim is to use the online services located at http://www.maine.gov/labor/unemployment/benefits.html .  To reach the Unemployment Claims Center by phone, call 1-800-593-7660 between 8 a.m. and 12:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

  • The Maine JobLink Registration Requirement for Filing for Unemployment Benefits

Maine unemployment security law requires all individuals filing for Unemployment Insurance benefits to be registered with the Employer Services Program of the state; this is done through Maine JobLink.
As part of the process for filing an unemployment claim, all individuals are being checked for an active and complete JobLink registration. Those who do not have an active or completed JobLink account will be required to register with the Maine JobLink before filing their next claim. Using an active and complete JobLink account is part of the eligibility requirements for unemployment benefits. While you are actively using the JobLink you may continue to file weekly claims for benefits.
More questions regarding filing for unemployment and the Maine Job Link requirement are available at http://www.maine.gov/labor/unemployment/mjl.html

  • How do I register for the Maine JobLink?

Using the Internet from any computer or mobile device (smart phone or tablet), you can register online.  You may also register at any of the CareerCenters in Maine or you may go to your local library and use their Internet service.  For the address and contact information of the CareerCenter nearest you, visit http://www.mainecareercenter.com/locations/index.shtml .

  • How do I find the closest CareerCenter?

For the address and contact information of the CareerCenter nearest you, visit http://www.mainecareercenter.com/locations/index.shtml

  • I am an employer and want to hire at least one employee. How can you help me?

Maine CareerCenters provide a variety of employment and training services at no charge for Maine workers and businesses.  We assist all sizes of employers with recruiting, hiring, training, workforce services and access to labor market information.  Whether your business is growing or downsizing, we can help with job retention, expansion, and creation, as well as help workers who are facing job loss due to downsizing or closures. You may list open positions on Maine JobLink at https://joblink.maine.gov/ada/r/employer

  • How do I sign up for Vocational Rehabilitation Services?

To apply for Vocational Rehabilitation Services, or “VR,” you need to call or visit one of our offices (click here for the BRS Office Directory) to request an application. The completed application and release of information forms must be returned to your local office, once we have received them, the VR counselor can gather information on your disability.

  • I am a veteran; can the CareerCenter help me get a job?

The CareerCenter offers special employment and training services for veterans. If you served in the U.S. Armed Forces, a CareerCenter Representative can help you find a job, obtain new skills, or access other state or federal resources available to veterans.
Veterans or transitioning service members who meet any of the following circumstances should contact your local CareerCenter.

  • You are a veteran with a service connected disability.
  • You are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
  • You are recently separated and unemployed or underemployed.
  • You have less than a high school diploma.
  • You are an offender released in last 12 months.
  • You are low income.
  • You are between the ages of 18 and 24.
  • I am a job seeker or employer interested in training; can someone at the CareerCenter assist me?

Maine CareerCenters provide both workers and businesses access to training services, including some at no charge. Whether you are looking to improve your job qualifications, explore a different profession, find a new career or hire a new employee or train a current employee, the CareerCenter can help.  Contact the CareerCenter at 1-888-457-8883 or TTY: Maine relay 711 for more information.

  • I was laid off from my job and I heard that I might be eligible for training. Is this true and for what could I be eligible?

Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) and Alternative Trade Adjustment Assistance (ATAA), and Trade Readjustment Allowances (TRA) help trade-affected workers who have lost their jobs as a result of increased imports or shifts in production out of the United States.  Eligibility is determined by the U.S. Department of Labor.
Certified workers may be eligible to receive job search assistance, training, relocation allowances, additional weeks of unemployment benefits and a tax credit on health insurance premiums. ATAA provides eligible workers over the age of 50 with a wage subsidy if they find new employment within 26 weeks of their separation and their new job pays lower wages than did their old job.

If you think you may be eligible for Trade Assistance, please contact the CareerCenter at 1-888-457-8883 or TTY: Maine relay 711 for more information.